Monday, August 17, 2026

How I Unlocked True Lossless Audio on My iPhone (And Why Bluetooth Isn't Enough)

 After months of testing headphones, earbuds, and In-Ear Monitors (IEMs) paired with Spotify Lossless on my iPhone, I’ve finally wrapped up my audio setup.

Like many listeners, I never really thought about how a smartphone converts digital files into the analog sound waves hitting our ears. It makes perfect sense, but that process was always completely invisible to me. As it turns out, standard smartphone audio circuitry is functional, but it isn't built for high-fidelity sound.


To fix that bottleneck, I picked up a dedicated USB-C DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) dongle: the NICEHCK NK1 MAX. It features dual CX31993 and MAX97220 chips, an upgraded silver-plated OCC cable, and supports lossless audio up to 32-bit/384kHz. Crucially, it acts as both a high-resolution converter and a mini amplifier to properly power wired gear.
After testing several pairings, I settled on the Tangzu Wan'er S.G IEMs. These feature a 10mm dynamic driver, ergonomic fit, and a detachable braided cable.


The result? The music clarity and overall sound quality are remarkable. I now get the true lossless audio experience I’d been hunting for. I honestly assumed my older ears wouldn't spot much of a difference—I was wrong. Also the IEM's are extremely comfortable. 


A few takeaways from the project:


• Why Wired Still Wins: Bluetooth simply lacks the bandwidth required to stream uncompressed lossless audio. Wireless compression cuts corners that wired setups preserve.

• The Convenience Trade-Off: I still use my AirPods Pro 3 for walks or working in the shop—the wireless convenience is worth the quality drop in those environments.

• The Serious Listening Rig: When it’s time to sit down and actually focus on the music, the external DAC and IEM combination is unmatched for the price.

This setup delivered a massive upgrade without a massive price tag, though I might just continue experimenting with higher-end IEMs down the road.